Creamy Tomato Tortellini Basil Soup
I love slow cooker recipes. Early morning, I throw in a few ingredients and come home to a savory wonderful smell, inviting me to take off the lid and dip the contents into a bowel. My passion for cooking comes from the belief that cooking is an act of love bestowed upon the ones we love. It is not uncommon in my house when serving a home cook meal to my family, if you listen hard enough, you just might hear me singing…………. ” This is because I Love you” as I present my meal to family.
My favorite meal from childhood was Campbell’s tomatoes soup. Hold onto your spoons because this recipe is worth waiting for and is a definite upgrade to canned soup.
Now sometimes I cook from scratch and sometimes I take a shortcut. My motto is, “If it is good, no one will care.” This is a favorite with children. Here are two versions of the same soup. You choose.
Keyword: slow cooker tortellini, tomato basil tortellini soup
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 6 hours 30 minutes
Total Time: 6 hours 45 minutes
Servings: 7 servings
- 1 3/4 cup diced carrots (3 medium)
- 1 3/4 cup diced yellow onion (1 large)
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 5 cloves garlic minced
- 3 (28 oz) cans whole Roma tomatoes
- 1 (32 oz) carton vegetable broth
- 1/3 cup chopped fresh basil, plus more for garnish
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 Tbsp granulated sugar
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 16 oz refrigerated three cheese tortellini
- 3/4 cup heavy cream
- Parmesan, shredded, for serving
- Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add carrots and onion and sauté 3 – 4 minutes, add garlic and sauté 1 minute longer.
- Pour mixture into a 6 or 7-quart slow cooker along with tomatoes, vegetable broth, basil, bay leaves, sugar. Stir and season with salt and pepper to taste. Cover slow cooker and cook on LOW 6 – 7 hours or HIGH 3 – 3 1/2 hours.
- Remove bay leaves then puree mixture well in small batches in a blender (only fill blender 2/3 full and cover removable insert with a kitchen towel) or us an emulsion blender*.
- Stir in tortellini, cover and cook on HIGH heat 15 – 20 minutes longer (or until heated through).
- Reduce heat to warm, stir in heavy cream. Serve topped with Parmesan cheese and fresh basil.
Now here is my easy version for busy nights:
- 3 jars of Bertolli Basil Spaghetti Sauce
- 1 bag of frozen tortellini – any flavor
- Fresh basil
- Parmesan cheese
- 1 cup vegetable broth
- ¾ cup heavy cream
1. Pour 3 jars of Bertolli Basil Spaghetti sauce into a 4-quart sauce pan. Pour in 1 cup vegetable broth. Bring to a boil. Turn down to simmer 3 to 4 on stove. Take a potato masher and gently mash out any tomato bits in soup.
2. Stir in frozen tortellini, cover and cook for 10 minutes.
3. Stir in ¾ cup heavy cream. Let soup heat back up. Do not let it scorch.
4. Dip soup into bowels and serve with fresh basil and fresh Parmesan.
5. You can experiment with different flavors of sauces.