Today I am sharing a family favorite called “Stuffed Cabbage!”
Now before you turn your nose, I want to advocate, that I have a very picky adult niece, who will not eat cabbage.
One day she walked into my home and smelt the aroma of an unfamiliar dish and I sweet talked her into trying my cabbage dish!
My niece was in love with this new dish and devoured every bite! She even took home leftovers for her family!
INGREDIENTS FOR GROCERY LIST
- 1 lb Ground Beef (use a lean cut)
- 1/2 lb Ground Italian Sweet Basil Pork
- 1 Cup Cooked Rice (I use Minute Rice in box)
- 1/2 Cup Sweet Onion, diced very small
- 1 Garlic Clove, minced
- 1 cup Italian breadcrumbs
- Cheese (Optional, your choice)
2 tbsp.extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 large can Hunts Crushed tomato sauce
- 1 small can Hunts tomato paste
INSTRUCTIONS TO PREPARE DISH
*Preheat Oven to 350 degrees
*FOR THE FILLING:
- Boil water in small pot and cook rice until done.
- In a large deep skillet (or large pot) over medium heat, heat oil. Add chopped onion and cook until soft, 5 minutes. Stir in Hunts crushed tomatoes, 1/2 cup water, along with Hunts tomato paste and garlic, then cook until fragrant, 1 minute. Add garlic powder, oregano, Italian seasoning, black pepper, thyme, rosemary (all spices, amount is up to you, I just sprinkle).
- Lower heat to medium-low and simmer on low for 20 minutes.
- In a large bowel add cooked rice, raw hamburger, raw Italian sausage, bread crumbs, Add garlic powder, oregano, Italian seasoning, black pepper, thyme, rosemary (all spices ,amount is up to you ,I just sprinkle).
- Add1 cup of tomato sauce, using a spoon stir together.
- Shredded Cheese (Optional, your choice of flavor, Colby, Swiss, Mozzarella)
- Meat filling is now ready to go in cabbage leaves.
*FOR THE CABBAGE:
- Clean and wash the cabbage. Cut out the white core of the cabbage head.
- Cut and separate outer leaves of the cabbage head.
- Wash thoroughly the leaves under running water. Set aside on paper towels.
- Bring large pot water to boiling, carefully drop cabbage leaves and let them boil for 5-7 minutes, turning over occasionally.
- When you cannot remove any more leaves, cut remaining cabbage into chunks, wash set aside.
- Remove cooked outer leaves as they soften with a pair of tongs. Lay aside cabbage leaves on covered counter for meat filling, once cool enough to handle, You should end up with 10-14 leaves depending on size of the cabbage.
- Add cut up chunks of cabbage to boiling water and let cook 5-7 minutes
- Prepare a 9 x 13 baking dish by putting a few cabbage leaves (broken or whole) on the bottom and layer with a little sauce. Set aside.
- Using a paring knife, cut out the hard triangular rib from each cabbage leaf. Place about ⅓ cup filling into one end of each leaf, then roll up, tucking in the sides as you roll. Place rolls seam side-down on top of sauce in baking dish. Spoon remaining sauce on top of cabbage rolls then cover dish with foil. Bake 1 hour 15 minutes, until rice and meat are cooked through.